Looking for device with 1 second reporting interval

kolaf2 months ago

I'm looking for a GPS tracker to use for flying competitions. My requirements are:

1. Traccar compatible
  2. 1s position update time and position reporting time
  3. Logging positions when internet is unavailable and transmit positions the order of oldest to newest before updating with the latest position when connectivity is restored.

The reason for the last requirement is that am continuously listening for the latest position via the traccar websocket. There is no easy way to deal with out of order position reports when it is not known how long a device maybe offline between reports. The only solution is to use some kind of timeout, but configuring this for realtime traffic while supporting this erratic behavior is impossible. The device therefore needs to always transmit its oldest known position that has not been transmitted previously.

Does anyone have any suggestions for devices that I may check out? I have looked at quite a few, but I typically find that the position update rate is too slow or the behavior of offline positions is wrong.

Jimmya month ago

I'm looking for this as well.

kalaschnikowa month ago

If you can use a "software" tracker, try Tracker for Traccar:
[redacted]

Jimmya month ago

Thanks for replying, Kalaschnikov!! This is cool, however, I need a hardware tracker that has a small form factor.
This app requires a cell phone.

kalaschnikowa month ago

Yes, I understand you. But I meant "if you can".

P.S. Sometimes it is to nice to use older smartphones for such purposes. They costs normally nothing (e.g. I have 5 or 6 older phones/tablets at home) and are sometimes small :)

I use my https://www.queclink.com/product/gl320mg/ for 1 second resolution. Buffered uploads can be set to upload before or after latest position when GSM signal is established.

Rodney Yeoa month ago

Try this mini gps tracker ... https://x.alibaba.com/163yWS?ck=pdp

kolafa month ago

Thank you for all your suggestions. Using a bunch of old android phones as trackers is definitely an option we have considered. This also allows quite easily to expand beyond the limitations of a simple tracker device. However, my experience is that cheap phones not necessarily have the best gps hardware, and forcing android to provide fresh position updates every second is not entirely reliable.

The queclink device definitely looks interesting. Based on what you say for its configurability it looks like it takes all my boxes. Although it is not entirely clear in which order the buffer positions are transmitted do you know if they are oldest to newest? If this is the order, and I can configure it upload before the latest position then everything should be fine.

The mini gps tracker also looks interesting, especially building something at scale. However come not clear to me how this device should programmed and what features it actually has. It also requires additional hardware development to provide a battery and charging circuit so this will be slightly bigger project

The Queclink allows you to program the buffer behaviour. You can choose if it updates current position before uploading buffered positions or upload buffered positions before current position if you have been out of GSM range. One second update on both GSM and GPS fully programmable. The GPS can be configured to stay on. The unit is supplied with a programming cable and the software is easy to use. I have no connection to Queclink and use it on Traccar for asset/vehicle/sports tracking and routechoices for sports events.