Traccar Device Freezing issue

Victor Butlera month ago

I confirm the freezing issue is still present on version 6.4.

Same behavior as before - incoming HEX is recorded in the log, an event might be generated but no data in the positions table is saved. Server restart fixes the issue.

No errors in the logs.

How can we troubleshoot and find the root case?

Anton Tananaeva month ago

I recommend starting a new thread because I'm pretty sure the root cause is different if there are no errors.

Victor Butlera month ago

Maurice Oduor, can you tell us, which protocol are the freezing devices on server 6.4 using? Is it TCP or UDP? Or both?

Maurice Oduora month ago

@ Victor, it's gt06 mainly and tk103 occasionally; TCP. But for my case, if I do a clean install of Traccar 6.4 there is no freezing. But, if I do an upgrade within an hour freezing starts and only a restart of Traccar remedies the situation albeit temporarily.

Victor Butlera month ago

Thanks for confirming!
I am having freezing devices after 6.4 upgrade, all using UDP. Anton mentioned it might be a UDP related issue only, not present if TCP is used. Your comment confirms it's both TCP and UDP.
I assume you are not getting any errors in the logs either?

On a side note, when you say "clean install", I assume you refer to the database? I.e. you are installing the latest Traccar server and connect it to a new database instance, instead of using the database from the previous version?
What DB are you using?

borata month ago

We are experiencing an issue with our devices, particularly the GT06 models, after upgrading to version 6.4. Most devices using TCP are freezing, and even restarting them does not resolve the problem. The only temporary fix we’ve found is deleting the device from the platform and re-adding it.
Could you please investigate this issue and advise on a more permanent solution?

Victor Butlera month ago

borat, did you try restarting the traccar server? that usually temporarily helps with the freezing issue.

Hamzaa month ago

I am experiencing a similar issue. In my case, the device's position gets stuck, and it alternates between online and offline status. However, whenever the Traccar service is restarted, the data syncs again, and the device starts updating properly. This happens randomly with any device, not just a specific one. I recently updated Traccar from version 5.9 to 6.4, but no errors are showing in the logs.

borata month ago

victor, even after traccar restarts device alternates between online and offline status , The only temporary fix we’ve found is deleting the device from the platform and re-adding it , but the problems come again after some time. there is no any error on log

Victor Butlera month ago

borat, try looking for the first data record where the device freezes. In my case it was an INFO log type like the one below (I was looking for WARN logs):

INFO: [U1f1dacbd] error - Index 1 out of bounds for length 1 - ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
borata month ago

Victor, i have already restored my backup and currently using 5.5 version , i only want to use stable version as there are many customers on my end , is 5.9 version stable for gt06 ?

Victor Butlera month ago

As far as I remember versions 5.5 and 5.6 are stable, no device freezing problems. Still, I think there was a cache issue if there are too many devices, geofences, users, linked to the same user.
Once an update was done the server was also updating all devices, geofences, etc. This was causing performance issues. This was fixed in the later versions but other issues appeared like the freezing devices.

globaltracker25 days ago

Hi Victor
Hope you are well,

I migrated from 4.15 (amazing version! Solid and stable no traccar restart for months) to 5.6 to resolve the Firebase depreciation issues, and indeed as you said I'm facing these performance issues, I have 2 main admin users with many devices, geofences, etc linked to them and it gives so many issues during the day, not only that but also randomly we have java heap server going down

On regards to the freezing issue on gt06 have you sorted out? I'm very worried to migrate from 5.6 to 6.5 and become even worse

Appreciate

Andres23 days ago

Hi Globaltracker,

6.5 is stable and the gt06 freezing problem has already been fixed.