Geofences in groups should be visible to users directly - without the need for user-geofence association

paulm273 years ago

When a user is associated with a group he automatically sees the devices associated with that group.

It would be nice if the same logic was applied to geofences. I mean, if a group has geofences, a user associated with that group should be able to see all those objects without the need for independent user-geofence association. This would make sharing geofences between users much easier. And the same goes for drivers.

Does this make sense?

Anton Tananaev3 years ago

Group in Traccar = "a group of devices". If you want to support other types, we would have to add new types of groups and it will quickly get out of control.

paulm273 years ago

I see no need for new types of groups. The current "group" concept is great. "Groups" are agnostic. We can put all kinds of objects in the same group like devices, geofences and drivers.

I was just curious why a user automatically sees the devices within a group, but not geofences or drivers. If a user keeps a collection of geofences organized into a group, it would be nice to simply share that group with another user, and that new user would automatically see the geofences in that group without the need to individually share each geofence with the new user. Don't you think?

Obviously it would be nice to be able to group everything, but that would exponentially increase complexity.

paulm273 years ago

Ok, just sharing a thought. Thank you for this great project!

If it's a feature request, you should post it on GitHub.

Antonio Junior4 months ago

Greetings gentlemen, can anyone tell me if there is already a request for this feature on GitHub? I didn't find it and when I researched it I found it quite useful, as adding 1000 fences to 1000 users would be a very expensive process. Thanks!

duck9993 months ago

Bump. I need this too. Currently we have hundreds of geofences and need to share these with several users. It is just simply impossible to manage the geofences without some kind of grouping. The temporary solution we have now is to just share one account with everyone. But this defeats the multiuser login feature of Traccar.

Peek2 months ago

Bump 2. Same here.

However, we noticed that when a user is connected to a group (with selected geofences) and even with "Show Geofences" ticked as found under

1. Preferences > Map - "Show Geofences" and
  2. Users > USERNAME > edit > Attributes - "Show Geofences"

the Geofences will still not reflect unless the association is made directly within - Users > Connections > "Geofences".

Is it possibly already implemented via these boolean attributes and we're just not setting it up correctly ... or is it still a work in progress...?

Anton Tananaev2 months ago

I think you haven't read the thread before commenting. Groups ONLY apply to devices. Linking geofeces to groups don't give you access.

Peek2 months ago

It's not about access, as to manage the geofences. It's only to have the geofences displayed to those users part of that group.

It is about access if you want it to be displayed.

Peek2 months ago

Sorry, I'm a bit slow catching on ...

Admin creates geofences. Selected geofences then gets added to group. User with readonly rights then gets connected to the group.

Boolean attribute "Show Geofences" gets added to User (edit) config (with "Show Geofences" attribute also enabled under Map preferences)

Regardless, geofences will not be displayed unless the geofences is selected on a per user basis under each user's connections. Is this the only way to have the geofences displayed with group setups?

YES